Friday, April 21, 2017

April 19-20, 2017 Uploads

GuuzakaTube 04/20/17
April 19-20, 2017 Uploads

A wet day it is, today. So as you will know from the video descriptions (for those that even read such things!) this entry deals with the videos that were filmed over the Good Friday – Easter long weekend. Whew! Getting out there and filming 6 videos between Oshawa and Whitby in various locations was fun-oh-plenty, but when it came to editing time, it was work-oh-plenty! Especially for the dealership videos, which were full of plenty of crazy edits! Now let's discuss these videos in greater detail, shall we?

Were you ever expecting to see such a random video like this? Then again, when dealing with the outdoors and the nature my channel, it shouldn't be too surprising after all. Also, I guess it isn't fair to call this place “random” since it does happen to be a shopping centre that many Oshawans would normally shop at. Despite it being Good Friday that day, many of the food places were still open of course, and it looked like Sail and Lowe's were also open, hence why I didn't film that part of the area. For that reason I anticipated that the video would probably top out around 32 minutes, but the raw, unedited video ended up being 13 minutes. Despite that, it was still fun to go around the largely closed parts of the centre, and you know what I saw behind Walmart? Geese! They were hissing loudly too. And it was all caught on camera! Ah, quite an adventure that was! This place was one of the factors that inspired me to film the Whitby Mall over something else. Keep reading below to learn more about that.


This would officially be the 3rd video of a dealership showcasing the vehicles of Generals Motors Company. Missed the other two? Michael Boyer GM Dealership Walk Around and Oshawan Chevrolet and Cadillac Dealership [Immaturity]. Unlike the 1st one which took place in Pickering, this one also happens to take place in a GM oriented city – Oshawa! Like my Oshawa South SmartCentre video, this one was also filmed on Good Friday. In fact, after shooting the SmartCentre, I went here next to get it done. Mills Motors is a large dealership, so there was plenty to see and photograph. The weather also wasn't terribly cold, so that made things more enjoyable. Of course, there were tons of pickup trucks, GMC Sierras, on the lot because Canadians and Americans alike just can't seem to get enough of these utilitarian vehicles, so they got your back! Crossovers and Buick sedans were also plentiful, as well as many used Chevrolets in the used vehicle area. Alright, so I guess I should probably discuss the “Immaturity” part of not only this video, but all the others as well, in greater detail this time. So! What inspired me to throw these crazy, stupid, silly, immature, crass, annoying, insert word, edits to these dealership videos? Why do I go so overboard with it these days? Well, it started with my 1st dealership video done at Michael Boyer's GM dealership. I believe it was a blue Camaro that triggered the idea randomly. It brought so much self-amusement, giggles and joy, that I decided to do apply this immaturity to all my dealership videos to “spice it up” and make them different from most dealership videos that focus on one thing: showcasing a products features and seducing customers to buy the vehicle! Of course, that's because it's salespeople doing this, but when you see dealership videos come under GuuzakaTube, you can expect two things: A tour of the entire dealership (outside) and random, whacky edits applied to the front fascia of the vehicles! You may like it, or hate it, but either way, I just do what I like!!! So there, I hope this finally explains the phenomenon behind these wild, annoying edits.


G.L. Roberts Collegiate and Vocational Institute is named after George Lake Roberts, the first Director of the Ontario County Board of Education, precursor of the Durham District School Board” I know, I know. Nobody probably gives a damn about this type of stuff, but when I see initials in a school's name, I just can't help but to be so curious as to what it stands for. Turns out that I was right about the “G” being George, but couldn't quite touch the L. Well, now we know! This high school is one of the most interesting high schools to film for a good reason: its surroundings! While the appearance of GL Roberts solely is a little stale, the fact that it's attached to a community centre, surrounded by large fields, and the fact that its close to both a marsh and a lake, makes it incredible for photography and videos! Seriously, you guys are going to love the photos when I get them posted to Instagram on Friday, hopefully. Oh, and then there was also a greenhouse filled with lots of flowers. Yeah, truly lots to photograph down there. So judging from the presence of all the fields, bodies of water, and exercise facilities, it's safe to assume that this school probably puts a lot of focus into health & fitness and the environment. I could be dead wrong because I also no nothing about it, aside from the man's initials. LOL! For the 2nd segment in the video, I walked along the coast to film a part of Lake Ontario. Blue, cold, rocky and beautiful!


Not sure if it was intentional or not, but “Lakewoods” is a pretty fitting name for a school so close to a lake and a lot of trees. So like your typical elementary school, its got a lot of fencing around the front, to you know, help keep the baddies out and protect the innocent, little children. Well, before walking around it, I actually briefly walked the maintenance building of the Durham Catholic District Board. Sounds familiar? That's because I already filmed a DCDB building along Rossland not too long ago. Not really much to see for the building itself. For me, the main highlight of the video would be the trip at the scenic Pumphouse Marsh Wildlife Reserve. Unfortunately, I could see some garbage in the marsh, but thankfully not a ton. Would be better not to see any at all, but oh well. Didn't take away from the beauty of the marsh, and as you can hear from the video, there were plenty of marsh birds and animals vocalizing. Ah, a nice sound of the wilderness. So nice, that I kept the video running for a little longer than intended, just to capture a little more sounds on camera.


Fun fact #1 This video was originally just titled “Whitby Mall” but because I felt that it was rather substandard, I decided to just riskily give it a title that reflects how I honestly felt about the video.

Fun Fact #2 For some reason, the video processed itself upside down! I didn't know about this until when I played it back on my phone later. Thank goodness for video editing software!

Fun Fact #3 You can buy a passport here. BlackBerry Passport? Not sure about that one, but I'm sure you can inquire!

Fun Fact #4 This video (as well as Midway Nissan) were both somewhat late decisions. I was thinking about shooting a video in either Courtice or Whitby for Easter, but ultimately ended up choosing Whitby, so I could film the mall while it was closed, as well as the Nissan dealership that borders Saint Theresa Catholic School. As a result of the late decisions, on the day I was composing intros and outros for the Good Friday – Easter long weekend videos, I composed 3 extra sets for pieces to be used for unknown sites in either Courtice or Whitby. Well, as it stands today, 2 of the sets got put to good use for the Whitby Mall and Midway Nissan dealership. What will happen to the remaining pieces? I'll scrap it! Kidding. The intro has a very eerie, cryptic feel to it, while the outro is quite the opposite. That's all I can tell you for now!

Fun Fact #5 Ok, this is going to be highly subjective, but in my honest opinion, this is one of the most boring malls you can visit in the Durham Region! If you plan to visit the malls of the Durham Region, choose Pickering Town Centre or the Oshawa Centre. Admittedly, I haven't visited this mall in years, so I don't know if it's changed much, but judging from the outside, it doesn't look too promising.


Alright, so I already went over the “Immaturity” attributes to these types of videos above, and I already went over the choice of Whitby over Courtice as the location to film some videos, but one thing I didn't mention is WHY? Why did I choose Whitby over Courtice that day? Do I just not like Courtice or something? No, I've filmed a video there back in 2016, so what could be the reason? I felt that there was more in Whitby to take advantage of that day. That's the reason. You see, the plan in Courtice was to film ***** but then I decided that I'd just film something completely new, which led me to the decision of filming Whitby Mall and their Nissan dealership. Oh, another interesting fact: I was originally going to do *******, but because I was under the impression that it was oddly open, I decided to axe the idea and chose Midway Nissan instead. Wow, so you can see that there was a lot of quick decisions and alternate planning that took place before and during Easter. “Did you spend time with family and friends at all that day or what?!” Don't worry, I did. The videos were filmed in the early afternoon and it did not take long to get them done. So! What did I think of this particular dealership? Large and variable. Which in other words is a good thing! Lots of new and used vehicles spread out over a large lot of variable elevations. “Elevations?! What do you mean by that?!” Simply that: some parts of the lot had a higher elevation than others, while others were lower. It's nothing “dramatic” but its worth mentioning just because I'm weird and couldn't help, but to point out such a random attribute like that. Oh yes, and because this video itself was long and had many edits, it took some hours to edit. I'm personally satisfied with the end results!


It was a great, successful, fairly warm, Good Friday – Easter long weekend! Got to visit lots of places and managed to get a lot done. Of course, I did also take the time to enjoy myself in other ways, but I remain glad about getting 6 outdoor videos done. Now because editing them was lots of work, this did not allow me to get that commentary done, but who cares? Well, I do, so I can always try and tackle it next week! Earth Day is coming very soon, so it'll be interesting to see what cities, people and the internet will do. What will you do? Are you huge environmentalist? Moderately concerned? Or don't care at all? Let me know in the comments below!






No comments:

Post a Comment