Friday, April 28, 2017

Earth Day 2017 Uploads

GuuzakaTube 04.28.17

Earth Day 2017 Uploads

Alright, so as you can quite obviously tell from the title, this blog post will discuss the three outdoor videos that were filmed on Earth Day. That said, the commentary video that I literally just uploaded 30 minutes ago at the time of this writing, will also be discussed here. “April 22-28 2017 Uploads” probably would have been a more accurate title, but let's tell the truth: nobody's going to care or notice. For once, I just decided to go with a nicer sounding title as opposed to the usual date and numbers style. Alright! Let's get chatting!

I don't like how the video turned out in terms of sharpness. I know you can tell from the text I put on the slide, but goodness! It looked fine while the camera was rolling, so I honestly don't know why it had to turn out a little blurry. I mean, nobody's complained about it so far, but if you're a details or high-defintion junkie, you'll hate it too. Anyways, resolution business aside, it was a fairly nice day to shoot videos. Still not the warmest yet, but the bright sunshine made things pleasant. The school itself was quite interesting to walk around, and had more to see than I thought. Not a “super exciting” building, but it was reasonable picturesque and had a nice, large, green field. Oh, and it's close to some train tracks. I wasn't able to catch the train during the video shoot, but I did get a few pictures. I will likely post one of these on Instagram soon.

Doctor Frederick James Donevan Collegiate Institute. Yes, I did it again. I went and I dug through Google just to discover what those cryptic initials stood for. Considering that this man was not a super famous, fabulous celebrity, the results didn't just jump out on the first try, but I got it soon enough. So yes, if for whatever reason you've been curious about his full name (highly doubt anyone was!) then now you know! Anyways, nerdiness aside, if you've seen the video before coming here, you'll know that this school is a closed building that had a very creepy feel to it... all the broken glass, litter, graffiti and what not, made it feel as if I've wondered off into some rustic ghost town. Interestingly, while I was researching his name, I also discovered that this school opened its doors in 1958, and ended up closing in 2010 due to declining enrolment. Wow! So it's managed to enjoy 52 academic years, and this also means that the building itself is 59 years old. Interesting. That could explain the old feel to it. Well, whether I was supposed to be there or not, I thankfully managed to capture this old site before they demolish it, refurbished it, or do only God knows what at this point. Do you know what they're going to do it? Leave a comment below and let me know what you think.


The final place I visited on Earth Day. I know. These videos have nothing to with Earth Day. Filming a trail through a conservation area would have been much more fitting, but nah! Didn't feel like doing that, but I should consider visiting the woods at some point, because it's been a while since I shot a video in the forest. I quite miss it! Anyway, so let's talk about Clara Hughes. In the video poll, I asked you who Clara Hughes was, so now I'll spoil it by telling you that she was an Olympian! Yes, yes she was! Do I know her well? No, not really. To tell the truth, I actually looked that up before shooting the video, just so I could at least know one thing about this woman I previously knew squat about. Because this was a new building, it had a “fresh” feel to it as I was walking around it. I liked that. Adding to the fresh, bright appearance, there were even kids playing basketball on the other side of the school to make the school even more lively, despite it being closed (it was the weekend). And since it was closed, I did a lot of window peering like the creep I am. LOL? You'll see what I'm talking about when you watch the video or see the photos on Instagram. So, judging from the naming of the school, the basketball players and a review I saw, the school looks like it has an athletic, sporty nature to it. Good for them, if so! Too many people are sitting around screens these days, and not enough are getting outdoor exercise. For that same reason, this is what also makes the outdoor videos so fun: the exercise and fresh air! Sure, I often sound breathy in my outdoors shoots, but don't be fooled – I enjoy them!

Well, everything I wanted to say has already been said in the video, so no point in repeating it here. Instead, I'll focus on the things not mentioned in the video. If you've been reading the past couple of entries, I've been talking about how I've been wanting to get an automotive commentary video done, but never got around to it. This week, I guess I had the chance to get it done, but when I saw the serious headlines all over the place surrounding the “Great YouTube Boycott” and the partner changes that took place, I felt that I just had to urgently speak out on this, so I did. The video was created sort of hastily, but all in all, I think it still turned out great. I love how creepy and depressing my pieces turned out, and I felt that I was able to fully state my piece and thoroughly educate people on the sad, unmotivating moves YouTube's been making lately. I understand that some people are thieves, or that some videos are disgusting, vulgar, racist, dangerous or immoral, but all creators should not have to get stung just because of the notorious bad apples. I hope that things will change for the better.


So yes, a lot of Ad drama and revenue loss going on with YouTube, but despite that, I still plan to make videos and hope that my channel will exceed 10,000 views soon. I wonder if I can make that happen within a month? Probably not unless I do one of three things: 1) focus heavily on YouTube 2) Capture something potentially viral, like say a seagull stealing someone's bag of chips and then poos on the victim's head 3) Make more convincing call-to-actions and more posts on my social media accounts?

There are likely many other options and ideas, but that's all I can think of for now. To be honest, I won't be choosing #1 because it doesn't make sense to make more videos than what I'm making now. It just doesn't feel like it's worth it, so I'll just hope that I can capture something really awesome or funny someday, and probably try to be more active on my social media accounts. For next week, you'll likely see some outdoors shoots, a commentary and maybe a gaming video, but don't get your hopes up high for the last part.

No comments:

Post a Comment